Aims and objectives
To continue the material presented in Life Tables I, picking up the construction of the life table from the survivor column (lx) and completing the table to derive life expectancy. An understanding of healthy life expectancy is also presented.
After working through this module you should be able to:
- understand and appreciate the post-lx columns which form part of a classical life table
- understand how the columns are constructed
- appreciate the utility of each column
- particularly understand how life expectancy is calculated and the misconceptions surrounding it
- understand the concept of healthy life expectancy and the common method of estimating it