Aims and objectives
To introduce the concept of migration, types and age patterns of migration and sources of data.
After working through this module you should be able to:
- Outline some of the difficulties faced by demographers in defining 'migration'
- Explain the difference between net and gross migration
- Identify sources of migration data and the differences between indirect and direct data
- Understand the differences and ambiguities of some migration rates
- Describe age patterns of migration
- Understand the concept of ‘forced migration’ and how it differs from other forms of migration
This session will take approximately 3 hours to complete.