Aims and objectives
To describe the value of survey data to the demographer and to show how key demographic measures can be derived from survey data.
- Understand the value of survey data for demographers
- Appreciate the steps involved in using answers to survey questions to estimate demographic measures
- Be aware of the issues that arise when using self-reported age and date data to make estimates
- Know what information should be collected in order to estimate fertility measures
- Know what information should be collected in order to estimate mortality measures
- Understand how the choice of questions included in a survey affects the measures that can be calculated.