Aims and objectives
To introduce the concept of reproductivity and associated measures of generation length and growth and how they are affected by age-specific fertility and mortality.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Calculate the Gross Reproduction Rate (GRR) and the Net Reproduction Rate (NRR)
- Predict the influence of varying age-specific mortality and fertility schedules on the NRR
- Define the concept of generation length
- Understand the difference between the mean age at childbearing in a cohort and in a real (growing) population
- Explain the relationship between the NRR, growth rate and generation length
- Describe how the NRR, growth rate and generation length might differ if calculated using male rather than female data
This session will take approximately 2.5 hours to complete.