Aims and objectives
This session brings together several related fields, all to do with causes of death and how they are recorded and classified.
After working through this session you will be able to:
- To explain why and how cause of death is recorded
- To explain why classification of cause is necessary and why inaccurate classification is common
- To explain what uses death certification can be put to
- To introduce the International Classification of Disease framework
- To present ways in which causes of death can be ascertained through verbal autopsy procedures, and the associated problems
- To present the concept of maternal mortality and how it can be measured
This session will take approximately 4 hours to complete.