Aims and objectives
This session has three aims. The first is to introduce evolving concepts of disability and impairment. The second is to introduce different sources of information on prevalence and types of disability, and outline the methods used in measuring disability. Finally, this session aims to explain the concept and calculation of healthy life expectancy as an indicator of both fatal and non-fatal health outcomes.
After working through this session you will be able to:
- Define the terms disability and impairment
- Identify the sources of information on the prevalence of disability and impairment
- Explain different methods of measuring disability, impairment, and the impact of health conditions on the individual
- Define healthy life expectancy
- Calculate healthy life expectancy
This session will take approximately 2 hours to complete.