Aims and objectives
To introduce the concepts of tempo and quantum in the study of human fertility (and mortality), and to discuss tempo distortions in the period TFR as well as an approach for correcting these.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Understand the concepts of tempo and quantum in fertility
- Compute age-order specific fertility rates
- Understand why the period TFR is sensitive to tempo changes in childbearing
- Define and understand the Bongaarts-Feeney tempo-adjusted, TFR*
- Understand some of the controversies around tempo adjustments
- Explain recent trends in the TFR and the tempo-adjusted TFR* in high income countries
- Understand possible tempo distortions in period life expectancy.